How to Prepare For a Pickleball Competition
The best way to prepare yourself for a successful pickleball tournament, first and foremost, is to find a partner who shares your goals. You can make or break your experience so choose carefully.
You should not only make sure you have a great team member but also take care of yourself so you can be a trustworthy partner. Here are some things you can do in order to maximize your performance.
- Keep hydrated during the days leading to the tournament
- A healthy diet will ensure maximum performance
- To stay at the top of your game, practice regularly
- Stretch your muscles before you begin to avoid injury
- Keep your eyes on the prize
What to wear to a Pickleball Tournament
You can wear almost anything, even if you are part of a professional team that has uniforms.
Men can wear shorts, wicking clothing, t-shirts, and athletic sweatpants. Many women wear skirts or dresses in tennis style, but they can also wear shorts and a t-shirt.
The goal of the game is to feel completely at ease. You also have to win, of course.
What to bring to a Pickleball Tournament
Let’s now discuss the question: What should you bring to a pickleball tournament. Take a look below at the checklist to ensure your success.
What to bring to a Pickleball Tournament (1)
- You should bring at least two pickleball sticks. Why two? Glen Peterson, 5x Pro Gold Medalist, brings both a 7 1/2-ounce and 8-ounce paddle in case of heavy winds.
- Two balls
- Use a towel to dry your skin
- Water bottle
- Hat & sunglasses
- Sunscreen that is sweat-proof
- Lip protection with SPF
- Additional pairs of shoes and socks
- Additional clothing is recommended if you sweat often or if the weather changes.
- Jacket, sweatpants
- Flip flops or sandals are good options.
- Topical pain relief cream
- A small pack of tissues
- Food, snacks
- Ice pack
- Folding chair
- Remember to take pictures with your camera
- You can carry everything in a bag/tote
- Mark your purchases with a black sharpie pen
- Check-in with your ID
- To support vendors, cash or a credit card
- Anti-inflammatory/cramping medicine (ibuprofen, mustard, Hyland’s Leg Cramps, etc.)
The Best Pickleball Equipment to Play in a Tournament
Congratulations! You now know exactly what it takes to succeed. There’s one problem: where can you buy professional pickleball equipment.
You are fortunate to find pickleball equipment in many places. What is the worst thing about looking for pickleball gear? You have so many options!
We’ve compiled a list of our top picks for the three most important items for your pickleball tournament.
Pickleball balls come in indoor and outdoor styles. Consider where you spend the most time playing pickleball. You can grab them both for a rainy day! Literally
Here are some of the top:
- Indoor Balls
- Outdoor Balls
It’s important to wear lightweight shoes, just like in any other sport. Your shoe choice will depend on the type of court you are playing on, whether it is indoor or outdoor.
You will need something similar to tennis shoes for an outdoor tournament. Shoes with gummy soles are best for indoor tournaments.
These are our top picks
- Wilson RUSH Pro 2.5 2019 Pickleball Shoes
- ASICS Men’s Gel Dedicate 6 Tennis Shoes
This is the most important piece of pickleball equipment. It’ll be easy with the right guidance.
This post was written by Kristian D’an, a pickle pall specialist with Pickleball Connection. Pickleball Connections is a private club offering the latest news, training, sportswear, supplements, and more. For exclusive deals, and to stay up to date on everything Pickleball click here for more information.